Friday 14 March 2014

Foodie Friday - Broccoli & Brie Soup recipe

by Bex

This is a soup I made years ago - one I adapted from a few recipes for Broccoli & Stilton soup.  I like blue cheese but find stilton a bit too strong and wanted a more mellow cheesiness for this soup.  It works really well and was a hit with Nik when I made it this week.  It's a really simple and quick one.  I actually adapted it again from my own scrawled old recipe so here's how I did it this time...


Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 head of broccoli, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled & diced
1L vegetable stock
black pepper
100g brie, chopped into chunks (mine didn't all make it into the pot!)
crusty bread and creme fraiche (to serve)



Method:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, cook the onion & garlic over a medium heat until soft (apx 5 mins).  Add the potatoes and broccoli and stir for 2 mins to sweat off the vegetables.  Add the stock and simmer for 20 mins or until the vegetable are soft.


Season with black pepper (mine didn't need any extra salt, remember the cheese adds some saltiness too!) and remove from the heat.  Add the cheese and leave until it melts.  Blend the soup and serve with a dollop of creme fraiche (I didn't have any so drizzled some cream over) and crusty bread (I didn't have any so toasted a sesame bagel).



2 comments:

Unknown said...

What an arty drizzle of creme fraiche Bex! :) xx

Linsey said...

Yum! I've made a batch of broccoli and stilton soup for my lunches this week but brie sounds lovely too.
My top tips are using frozen broccoli (because I'm lazy!) and adding in a little bit of cauliflower. It makes the soup really creamy when you blend it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100