Friday 26 September 2014

Bex's Apple & Blackberry crumble recipe

by Bex

This crumble is my new local crumble recipe made from brambles we picked opposite the house and using apples from our local farm shop, grown practically on our doorstep!  I adapted the same recipe I used for my rhubarb & apple crumble in the summer but without pre-cooking the apples as I am more tired now and wanted fewer things to wash/fit in the dishwasher!  I also added a bit more to the crumble topping as a wee experiment - chopped almonds (would have used ground but I found chopped ones in the box!) and the zest of the lemon to add a bit of zing to the topping as well as not to waste a good zest ;)


For the filling:
400g Bramley apples, peeled, cored & chopped
300g other apples, peeled, cored & chopped
200g blackberries (we only had 180g and it was dark when I made the crumble so I didn't pick any more)
40g golden caster sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For the topping:
140g flour
100g butter
100g demerara sugar
60g rolled oats
20g chopped almonds
zest of 1 lemon

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180oC.
Place the apples and blackberries in a medium sized shallow oven proof dish.  Pour over the lemon juice and evenly sprinkle over the sugar, cinnamon and ginger.



Place all the ingredients for the topping into a food processor and blitz until you have a crumbly mixture.  Cover the fruit mixture with the crumble.




Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.


Serve with your choice of cream or custard.


It was just the right combination of tart and sweet and the zest in the topping turned out to be awesome!  I would highly recommend it :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100