Tuesday 29 November 2011

Best Cake EVER!

So I recently had a recommendation from my friend Claire (don't think I can get away with calling them my bridesmaids anymore) to make the Nigella Chocolate Guinness Cake.  Oh MY God!  I am so glad I did, even hubby says it's the best cake I've ever made.  It was super moist and soft and bouncy and delicious!

Here is the recipe, I highly recommend you try it!...

Ingredients:


  • 250ml Guinness
  • 250g unsalted butter
  • 75g cocoa
  • 400g caster sugar
  • 1 x 142ml pot sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
  • 275g plain flour
  • 2 1/2teaspoons bicarbonate of soda



  • 300g Philadelphia cream cheese
  • 150g icing sugar
  • 125ml double or whipping cream


Method:


Wow! Chocolaty Guinessy Creamy delights!
  1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C, and butter and line a 23cm springform tin.
  2. Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter - in spoons or slices - and heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the brown, buttery, beery pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.
  3. Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it is quite a damp cake.
  4. When the cake's cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Or do this in a processor, putting the unsieved icing sugar in first and blitz to remove lumps before adding the cheese.
  5. Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint.
Bubbly goodness!

None of my cakes have ever risen this well before :)

Frothy top to make it look all Guiness-like :)




I made it exactly as stated, it needed 55 minutes in my oven and was cooked perfectly.  The edge was slightly crispy which I love but the whole cake was moist - not dry at the edges like some cakes I've baked before!
It went down a treat at work as well and hubby was popular since he took a chunk into theatre with him for the nurses.

Think I might be making another one on Thursday to take down south with us to see my brother and the in-laws this weekend!  :)

(Don't forget to enter my competition over on Twitter!)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100