Wednesday 3 August 2016

Rest Day Recipe inspiration for Cycle 2 and 3 - weight loss by Bex

So as part of Cycle 2 of my 90 day plan from The Body Coach, I was given a list of the foods I am allowed on a rest day or a training day and specific quantities.  Those are tailored as part of the plan according to my assessment form and therefore not for sharing.  The following recipes are just to inspire you if you're also on the plan and need ideas for what to make from the food lists, they don't contain quantities as they are different for everyone.

Of course, if you're not on the plan and you fancy trying them, just make up the quantities!

So, on rest days in cycle 2 we have very low carbs, high protein and high healthy fats.  Here are my favourite recipes for rest days using my list of suggested foods.  We choose one (or 2 for veg) from each group - cooking fat, protein, extra fat source, 2 veg, greens, spices (this is freer as they have no effect on the macros) and side sauce.

Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Bake - I was sent a recipe for this from Joe but I've adapted it to suit my tastes more.



Ingredients:
Coconut Oil
Chicken
Mozzarella
Mushrooms
Onions
Broccoli
Salt & Pepper
Cottage Cheese
Chilli Flakes (optional)

Method:
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the chicken until browned, in the same pan and oil, cook the mushrooms & onions.  Steam the broccoli until just cooked.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cooked chicken, broccoli, mushrooms & onions with the cottage cheese, half the mozzarella, a little salt & pepper and chilli flakes if you wish.  Tip into a baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven until golden and bubbling on top. 

Cheesy Mustard Chicken with peppers - this reminds me of a delicious cheesy sauce I once had in a restaurant which is lovely with potatoes.  Sadly I'm not allowed potatoes and cheese on the same day so I have this with my broccoli on the side.  The best thing about this is when it's freshly cooked in the pan, it's a gooey, cheesy, stringy mess - the closest thing to a pizza minus the carbs.  When it's reheated - it's much more saucy.  If I fancy having different veg in it, I make a bigger batch and use alternative veg for one of the measurements so I can have onions and peppers and mushrooms and more mushrooms.  It's a great one pan, quick rest day meal.



Coconut Oil
Chicken
Mozzarella
Mushrooms
Onions (red or white)
Peppers
1 tsp Mustard
Sour Cream
Broccoli

Heat the oil in a large frying pan.  Cook the onion & peppers and then add the chicken, when the chicken is almost cooked, add the mushrooms.  When chicken & mushrooms are cooked through, remove from the heat and add the mustard, cheese & sour cream.  Stir as the cheese melts.  Serve with steamed broccoli.

It also makes a good sauce for steak, just leave out the chicken and spread it over a lovely grilled steak instead:




Chicken Strogannoff

Coconut oil
Chicken breast
Onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed/chopped
Mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Thyme
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Black Pepper
low fat sour cream
1 chicken stock cube in 100mls water


Broccoli


Steak or Chicken Thai Curry


Coconut oil
Sirloin steak OR Chicken/Turkey breast
Aubergine
Onion
Thai curry paste
Low fat coconut milk
Fage yoghurt (?keep some for pud)
Sugar snaps/mange tout


Cashews
OR
Cheddar for pud

In a large frying pan, fry your meat in the coconut oil with some seasoning until cooked, remove from pan. Using the same oil, fry the onion until soft, add the aubergine and cook for about 5 mins before adding the curry paste, fry for 2 mins then add coconut milk and sugar snaps/mange tout. Add the meat back into the pan. Stir through your yoghurt for extra creaminess and serve.

Prawn & Pea Curry



Coconut oil
Onions
Chopped garlic
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
Tinned chopped tomatoes
Tomato puree
Stock cube in 150 mls water
Salt & pepper to taste
Prawns
Peas (approved by coach just a few times per week)
Yoghurt

Fry the onions in the coconut oil until soft, add 1 clove garlic and then spices, fry gently then add tomatoes, stock and tomato puree, bring to the boil and reduce to simmer, season to taste. Add the prawns and peas and cook until prawns turn pink through. Remove from heat and stir through yoghurt.

Add extra fat as preferred - I had cheese as a dessert. You could also have nuts in the curry or after.

(Serve with rice on a training day and adjust quantities as needed.)

Thai Salmon with crunchy seeds - another really easy one with minimal prep.




Salmon fillet
Thai curry paste
Seeds (I used a combi of pine nuts and sesame seeds)
Broccoli
Coconut/Olive Oil
Garlic
Lemon Juice

Preheat the oven to 180oC.
Place the salmon in an oven proof dish, top with curry paste and seeds. Bake in oven for 15-20 mins.
Microwave broccoli until cooked.  Fry the garlic in the oil and throw in the broccoli, tossing to coat.  Cook for 2-3 mins and serve with the salmon.  I can't remember what I did with my other veg allowance - I might have had a salad!




As for ALL of the greens, I love broccoli so mostly ate that as my green option but even so, it still got a bit dull so I had a couple of ideas to change it up a bit. Broccoli soup was awesome for when I didn't fancy a big pile of broccoli, particularly at breakfast or with my sausage bap. Simple to batch cook and freeze in pouches to take to work too.

I also LOVE broccoli fried in garlic. Steam it first in the microwave and then quickly saute it with some chopped garlic (I use frozen) and a little oil. Delish! (If I'd already used my cooking fat allowance for something else I just dry fried it with the garlic being careful not to burn it. It was still nice.



Broccoli Soup

Whatever your portion of greens is, multiply by however many you wish. I did a batch of 8.

8 x Broccoli, chopped
1.5L Chicken or veg stock
Salt & pepper to taste
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)

Add the broccoli, stock, chilli flakes and seasoning to a large pan and bring to the boil.  Simmer until broccoli is cooked through (appx 8 mins) and blend to your preferred consistency.


From what I could tell from the unofficial pages on Facebook, a lot of people had trouble thinking of breakfast recipes but as I don't mind having leftovers or random things for breakfast, I didn't mind eating anything.


Smoked Salmon with Avocado/Mozzarella Salad or Scrambled Eggs


Smoked salmon
Avocado or Mozzarella or Seeds (fat source) or divide and split them to have a mixture
Peppers (1/2 allowance)
Tomatoes
Red Onion (1/2 allowance)
Lemon Juice
Capers (unauthorised!!)
Salt & Pepper
Lemon Olive Oil

Mix everything together and dress with oil and lemon.  Serve with broccoli soup (see above).

Alternatively I'd have the salmon with scrambled eggs as the fat source and salad on the side.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100